Plantar fasciitis ("PLAN-ter fash-ee-EYE-tus") is an inflammation of your plantar fascia from excessive stress and force applied at the heel bone. The plantar fascia is a band of fibrous tissue that runs along the bottom surface of your foot, attaching at the bottom of the heel bone and extending to the ball of your feet. Poor biomechanics and an abnormal walking pattern can predispose your feet to develop plantar fasciitis.
What causes Plantar fasciitis?
- Over-pronation (flat feet) which results in the arch collapsing when you stand.
- A foot with an unusually high arch.
- A sudden increase in physical activity.
- Excessive weight on the foot, usually attributed to obesity or pregnancy.
- Improperly fitting footwear.
Over-pronation (flat feet) is the leading cause of plantar fasciitis. Over-pronation occurs in the walking process, when a person’s arch collapses upon weight bearing, causing the plantar fascia to be stretched away from the heel bone.
With Plantar Fasciitis, the bottom of your foot usually hurts near the inside of the foot where the heel and arch meet. The pain is often acute either first thing in the morning or after a long res. As the day progresses and the plantar fascia continues to be stretched, the pain often subsides. This problem can start of intermittent but can become regular and chronic if left untreated.
What our Chiropodists can do for you?
- Perform a physical exam and identify the source of problem and discuss treatment options.
- Apply padding or taping to provide immediate relief.
- Recommend exercise and stretching programs.
- Prescribe and dispense night splints (Strassburg Sock)
- Recommend appropriate shoes, prescribe, cast and dispense custom made foot orthotics for poor biomechanics.
- Provide physical therapy: MedX Phototherapy, FOX Laser
- Perform Shockwave Therapy (Swiss DolorClast Method)
Give our office a call at 905-209-8000 or book an appointment through our online portal to start treating your heel pain.
Chiropody Services are covered by most extended health insurance plans.
We're open Evenings & Weekends for your convenience!