Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetic foot care starts at home.
Controlling your blood sugar levels can help protect you from long term diabetic foot complications. Daily foot exams, moisturizing your feet, wearing safe shoes, seam-free socks and custom orthotics can lower your risk of diabetic foot problems. Maintaining an active lifestyle is also important. If you have not had your feet checked, call the Mount Joy Foot Clinic & Orthotic Centre to book a diabetic foot screening. A diabetic foot screening can help determine your risk level for developing diabetic foot complications.
General Guidelines to caring for the Diabetic foot:
- Wash your feet regularly with lukewarm water and soap. Make sure to properly dry the spaces in between your toes.
- Check your feet daily. Use a mirror or ask for help if it is difficult to see your feet.
- Apply a moisturizing cream daily to keep your skin soft. Avoid creams between your toes.
- Wear clean, white, breathable socks and change them daily.
Wear properly fitted footwear.
Products and Services we offer for people with Diabetes:
- Regular diabetic foot screening and exams
- Advice about taking care of the diabetic foot
- Toenail Cutting
- Callus and Corn Removal
- Ingrown Toenail Surgery
- Wound care and debridement
- Diabetic socks ( Simcan socks)
- Diabetic Shoes ( Orthofeet , Anodyne )
Creams and moisturizers safe for the diabetic foot. (Biodetic)
What Mount Joy Foot Clinic & Orthotic Centre can do for you.
Our Chiropodist will conduct a complete diabetic foot exam and setup a foot care program specifically for you. Moderate or High risk diabetic feet are best taken care of with regular visits with a Chiropodist to prevent, treat and monitor your feet.
Do you have diabetes? Do you know someone that has diabetes? Have you had your feet checked yet? Give our office a call at 905-209-8000 or book an appointment through our online portal to have your diabetic feet examined.
Chiropody Services are covered by most extended health insurance plans.
We're open Evenings & Weekends for your convenience!